Thursday, May 13, 2010

Landing with a thump

So I'm back in Canada, alternately reflecting on my journey and focusing right here and now . . . wondering what the hell I'm doing.

The travel experience, guat city to Toronto, was blessedly uneventful - my favourite kind.  No major flight delays, no major crises . . . nothing.  I did have, believe it or not, a US immigration officer flirt with me and invite me to the Caribbean for his birthday this summer.  Given how formidable they can be, and how long I waited in line, I guess that's pretty noteworthy - especially since he was quite cute.

I arrived to a rather chilly Toronto retreat back towards winter (I had optimistically hoped that they'd be past this by now).  So I'm very grateful that I packed my sweaters and warm pants . . . and the new wool coat that I bought in Pana just before I left. It's a rather abrupt and harsh contrast to my last night in Guatemala - hanging out under the stars until the last possible moment before crawling into bed.  I almost locked up my hostel room and slept under the stars in a hammock . . . except that I don't actually sleep all that well in a hammock.

So, along with the cold on the outside, I also seem to have a cold on the inside, along with what I suspect is water transition blues . . . or something.  My body has declared war on me - demanding that I sit still and rest, rather than race full speed ahead the way I'm wont to do.  Although I can't say I'm all that happy about being so sick . . . it is ensuring that I take some time to think about what I want from this next leg of my journey, from this time here in Ontario, with my family. 

It's also a time to fill in my blog with missing stories, while they're still fresh . . . knowing they will be harder to retrieve as time passes.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Shoshana
    Nice to have you show up in my inbox today! I am just back in BC; on the Sunshine Coast for now...Cortes by Monday.
    Life has been very full these past several months. Look forward to catching up sometime.
    Blessings to you on your journey...
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi shoshana:) I just read a lot of posts that you have written about living in Guatemala and San Marcos.
    It was wonderful to get a little piece of san marcos again thrue your writing.
    I have been home for several months now and the results of my experience in Las piramides is emering more as time goes by.
    This is truly a special place filled with special people that I would love to come back to one day.
    I totally agree that in English (and Norwegian)
    there are not enough words to discribe the different levels of friendship. An interesting subject, I really think.
    It was so nice to meet you , very good friendly acquiantance:)
    Wish you love and lots of good times on your journey and in your life.
    Love Maria from Norway.

    ReplyDelete