Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Las Piramides, Moon Course

I am mid-way through the one-month moon course at Las Piramides del Ka, The Pyramids of the Spirit.  It is a spiritual retreat centre, led by a most amazing, beautiful, powerful woman, Chatty and her support team.  The Pyramids are her centre and her calling, and she is the primary teacher.  The office is run by one of her daughters, Paoli, as beautiful as her mother, and a local Mayan woman.  Yoga classes and meditation on weekends are offered by Marcus and Kathy, long-ago graduates and followers of the path.

I´m not sure yet how to describe ´the path´although I think that´s really what we´re learning this week.  The basic schedule remains constant, (7am yoga, 10 am metaphysics and 5pm meditation), but the focus of the classes changes each week. Whatever the focus, each session begins with about 30 minutes sitting meditation.  These periods of stillness and silence have turned out to be my greatest challenge and my greatest teacher . . . though I often wonder if I´m a little bit learning disabled when it comes to understanding the teachings.  :-)

The first week was about understanding the symbolism of the pyramids and all the ´stuff´within them.  As a long-time Pagan, the first week was hardly new material, but it came from a different perspective with a slightly different intention. Yoga and meditation were unquestionably the most challenging part of that week for me.  I reconnected in a deeply uncomfortable and humbling way with how firmly rooted I had become in the computer and the couch during my 2 months in Vancouver, preceding my departure.  My months of hooping, swimming and dancing on Cortes prior to that seem to have been forgotten by my body.  sigh.  Fortunately, in week 3 I am finding far more joy and ease, and far less pain, in both yoga and meditation. 

The second week was about astral traveling and lucid dreaming.  Based in the chakra system and an understanding (and acceptance) of multiple dimensions, it pushed my personal envelope (my inner mystic at war with my inner skeptic).  This week, the third week is about our purpose / mission for this lifetime and is being explored through the Tree of Life and its 7 disciplines, including Tarot, Kabbalah, Astrology and Numerology.  If nothing else, my curiosity this week is in full gear, as I have always been fascinated by these tools.

The last phase of the one-month program is 5 days of silence and fasting, starting next Monday.  I´m both looking forward to it, and nervous about it.  Although my days have been full, in between classes, with visiting healers, exploring the area and scooting across the lake for supplies, it has already been quite an introspective journey.   Sitting meditation continues to be challenging for me, although I have now had enough experiences of true inner quiet and peace that I am motivated to continue.  It will be interesting to see what just under a week of silence brings.

4 comments:

  1. Hello my friend,
    I am reading about your journey and keeping up with the challenges! Patrick is also in Australia learning all kinds of things about life on the cruise ship. What adventures you two are having, I look forward to you both regaling us (in person) with all your journeys.
    Lots of love sweetie - we're all rooting for you here!
    Take care (Good luck on your silent retreat & fasting), Hugs and Kisses
    Renée and Brenna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your descriptions, and am occasionally catching my breath at some of the challenges such as the "bridge" in Pana (a "mother" thing, I expect). Can't wait to read and hear more as I sit here doing data entry for work and reports for church - not the same level of stimulations!! Love you! MOM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I'm really interested in doing the Moon course. Roughly how much did you spend on your accommodations and food for the month? Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi April, If you visit their website: http://www.laspiramidesdelka.com/ and click on "prices" to find out their current rates - which include accommodation in one of the pyramids on-site. Food is extra - but it's really cheap to live there. I'd say on average food cost me about $5 - 10 a day ... depends how frugal you are.

    It's a magical experience - I totally recommend it.

    ReplyDelete